I serve as Associate Professor at the Department of Aerospace Science and Technology (DAER) at Politecnico di Milano. I received my PhD from the Politecnico di Milano in 2005 and since then I have worked in the field of Computational Engineering, focused on the co-design of CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) methodologies on leadership class machines for transient modeling, moving mesh, turbulence, multiphase and reactive flows.
My research objective is to pursue concerted innovations in physical modeling, numerical analysis, optimization and scientific computing for increasingly complex multi-disciplinary engineering applications and to co-design algorithms and computational strategies to cope with real-world uncertainty, to fundamentally change our present approach to engineering simulations relevant to broad areas of fluid mechanics.
Since 2005 I selected the open-source CFD software OpenFOAM (www.openfoam.org) as base tool for my research activity.
Honors and Awards
– Keynote Invited Talk for Leading Academic OpenFOAM base development, 4th Annual OpenFOAM User Conference 2016, Cologne (Germany) [link].
– Mention for the development and deployment of reference mesh handling strategies in high-fidelity simulations of Internal Combustion Engines, 2014 [link].
– Invited talk at the Plenary session “New Implementations in OpenFOAM” for “A C++ object-oriented library for IC Engines simulation – acoustics and aftertreatment”, 5th OpenFOAM Workshop, Gothenburg (Sweden), 2010.
– Recognition for Excellence in Oral Presentation, “A Scale Adaptive Filtering Technique for Turbulence Modeling in IC Engines”. SAE paper 2015-01-0395, SAE World Congress and Exibition 2015, Detroit, MI (USA).
– Recognition for Excellence in Oral Presentation, “An Extension of the Dynamic Mesh Handling with Topological Changes for LES of ICE in OpenFOAM”. SAE paper 2015-01-0384, SAE World Congress and Exibition 2015, Detroit, MI (USA).
– Associate Professor, Politecnico di Milano, Italy (2015-present)
– Assistant Professor, Politecnico di Milano, Italy (2008-2015)
– Post-doc researcher, Politecnico di Milano, Italy (2005-2008)
– Visiting PhD Student, Engine Research Center (ERC), University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA (2003-2004)
School of Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering, Politecnico di Milano [link]